Wednesday 19 November 2008

We Are All Visitors...

29.9.08


"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love... and then we return home." - Australian Aboriginal Proverb

I was in Edinburgh Zoo with my son two weeks ago on the Monday holiday, in the rain…again, when we came across a stunning picture of Ayres Rock in Australia with this proverb written over it. It struck me so strongly I felt compelled to take a note of it.

Last weekend my father was taken into hospital. He has leukaemia and his immune system is so low that he has recently gone from one infection to the next. On Saturday he told us that he wants to stop the treatment, that he wants to be free of his body, that God will take care of him, and I was once again reminded of this proverb.

These words give me strength.

And I started thinking about how fortunate we are as a family to have these last few days to say our goodbyes and say everything we need to say. So many people don’t get that opportunity. People die suddenly through illness, or accidents, or terrorist attacks, and the ones left behind are left with things unsaid, without that final hug.

We are all on loan to this world, and none of us know when our time is up.

If there are things you’ve been meaning to say to someone, please say them today. Don’t wait. Because we never know what tomorrow will bring.

I am at peace. I have thanked my father for all the things he did for me. Some we laughed over, some we cried at. I have said all the things I have wanted to say over the years, but never knew how, and I am glad to have this opportunity to do so.

Please go out today and do the same.


This article was written on 29 September 2008. My father passed away peacefully on 2 October with my brother by his side.

To Dad - Till we meet again!




No comments: